The market in minutes

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Read More »

UK’s Queen Elizabeth thanks health workers around the world

first_imgIncluded in the video were three of the queen’s children: Prince Charles and his wife Camilla, Princess Anne, and Prince Edward. The queen’s grandson Prince William and his wife Kate Middleton were also pictured.”In testing times, we often observe that the best of the human spirit comes to the fore; the dedication to service of countless nurses, midwives and other health workers, in these most challenging of circumstances, is an example to us all,” she said.”My family and I send our enduring appreciation and good wishes,” the queen said.The 93-year-old monarch is staying at her Windsor Castle home with her husband Prince Philip, 98. On Sunday, in a rare televised address, the queen told the British people that they would overcome the coronavirus outbreak if they stayed resolute in the face of lockdown and self-isolation.She invoked the wartime spirit by saying “we will meet again” – a direct reference to the most famous British song from the war years of the 1940s.Prince Charles, 71, has recovered after suffering mild symptoms of the virus and opened a new field hospital in London via video link from his home in Scotland on Friday.  Britain’s Queen Elizabeth on Tuesday sent a message of “enduring appreciation and good wishes” to health workers around the world for World Health Day.”I want to thank all those working in the healthcare profession for your selfless commitment and diligence as you undertake vitally important roles to protect and improve the health and well-being of people,” the queen said.The queen’s words were shown on a video released by the royal family’s Twitter account, which featured images of the queen and other members of her family visiting hospitals and meeting healthcare workers.center_img Topics :last_img read more

Read More »

Scottish Gov’t injects another $6.45M to decommissioning fund

Highlands and IslandsFollowing the announcement by the Scottish Government, the Highlands and Islands Enterprise (HIE) said it was considering applying to the DCF.“Energy sector supply chain companies across the Highlands and Islands are being encouraged by HIE to consider applying to the DCF,” the development agency said.Last year, the DCF awarded grants totaling £4.8m for projects that strengthen Scotland’s decommissioning capacity.These included more than £800,000 for infrastructure upgrades at Kishorn Dry Dock in Wester Ross, more than £90,000 for work in the Lyness Oil and Gas decommissioning base in Orkney, and almost £60,000 was invested in feasibility studies commissioned by Stornoway Port Authority for the proposed decommissioning facility at Arnish on Lewis.Other projects include £118,000 for upgrading the plant and machinery by EMN Plant, and Lerwick Engineering and Fabrication received more than £80,000 for the purchase of equipment to enhance capabilities within the decom market in Shetland.Gavin MacKay, HIE’s head of energy industries, said: “The decommissioning of North Sea infrastructure is already presenting opportunities for the Highlands and Islands. The obvious example is the Buchan Alpha decommissioning, which is being carried out at Dales Voe in Shetland, following major upgrading of the quayside.”Alongside the Decommissioning Action Plan, launched by HIE and Scottish Enterprise at the end of 2016, the DCF will help Scotland’s oil and gas sector make the most of decommissioning opportunities at home and abroad. An additional £5 million ($6.45M) has been made available by the Scottish Government to the country’s supply chain to help maximize the economic benefit to Scotland from decommissioning of North Sea infrastructure.Decommissioning of the Buchan Alpha taking place at Dales Voe in Shetland; Photo by: John Coutts; Source: HIEThe Minister for Energy, Connectivity, and the Islands, Paul Wheelhouse, announced on Thursday that the Decommissioning Challenge Fund (DCF) would reopen for the third round of funding. The announcement was made during his visit to the new CEOs of Decom North Sea and Aberdeen Harbour, John Warrender and Michelle Handforth.Following grant awards of £4.8 million in 2017, the third round of DCF funding will continue to support infrastructure upgrades at Scotland’s ports, innovation in retrieval and transport approaches as well as supply chain projects that will strengthen Scotland’s decommissioning capability and capacity.The DCF can also support engineering scoping work, feasibility studies, and business development at key sites to help to attract further private investment.Wheelhouse said: “This round of the DCF includes both capital and resource funding, and it widens the scope of potential projects given that support is also now available for business development.“We fully recognize that decommissioning is an emerging, but growing, activity in the North Sea. More than £17 billion is expected to be spent on decommissioning activity in the North Sea in the period up to 2025, with the peak for decommissioning activity in this area predicted to go beyond this.“Scotland’s supply chain is winning the lion’s share of project value in areas like well-plugging and abandonment, but there is room to further increase market share in areas such as the salvage and disposal of top-side infrastructure.“The budget for the DCF in 2018-19 will reflect the projects coming forward, and our ambition is to match the £5 million successfully awarded last year, however, there is flexibility for this to increase if demand is demonstrated.” read more

Read More »

Russia’s Alexandrova wins maiden WTA title in Shenzhen

first_img Promoted ContentWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?Couples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable Way20 Facts That’ll Change Your Perception Of “The Big Bang Theory”Birds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For Them8 Ways Drones Will Automate Our Future10 Risky Jobs Some Women Do7 Universities In The World With The Highest Market ValueWho Earns More Than Ronaldo?8 Superfoods For Growing Hair Back And Stimulating Its Growth12 Flicks That Almost Ended Their Stars’ CareersInsane 3D Spraying Skills Turn In Incredible Street Art7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend Better The fifth seed won 6-2, 6-4 in 73 minutes to begin her season and her Australian Open preparations with a bang. The 25-year-old Alexandrova, ranked a career-high 34th in the world, collapsed to her knees after dismissing Rybakina, the seventh seed from Kazakhstan.Advertisement Read Also: WTA Classic: Serena glad to be back in New Zealand Alexandrova, who triumphed in a WTA 125K event in Limoges, France last month, defeated former world number one Garbine Muguruza in the semi-finals in southern China. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Loading… center_img Alexandrova played incredibly well to knock out Muguruza in Shenzhen yesterday. Another straight-set win tonight for her first-ever WTA singles title. One to keep an eye on. https://t.co/tt5UxRe2Ra— Jason (@Hurleytennis) January 11, 2020 Ekaterina Alexandrova won her first WTA singles title after the in-form Russian defeated Elena Rybakina in straight sets in the final of the Shenzhen Open on Saturday.last_img read more

Read More »

Unlicensed gun sends man to jail

first_imgILOILO City – Police arrested a man who owns an unlicensed gun in Barangay Andagao, Kalibo, Aklan. Galupe’s apprehension on June 23 came after police chanced upon him carrying a .45-caliber pistol loaded with seven live bullets. The suspect was detained in the custodial facility of the Kalibo municipal police station, facing charges for violation of Republic Act 10591, or the Comprehensive Firearms and Ammunition Regulation Act./PN He was 44-year-old Sammy Galupe, a police report showed. He failed to show pertinent papers showing his legal ownership of the weapon, the police added.last_img

Read More »

Kennedy spins but wins at Raceway Park

first_imgBy Bob ConeyJEFFERSON, S.D. (May 16) – After an opening lap spin out sent him to the rear of the field, Kaleb Kennedy came back to take the feature victory in the Skyline Casino IMCA Northern SportMod division Sunday at Raceway Park.Darin Roepke completed a strong run finishing second in front of point leader Rusty Montagne.Chris Abelson powered through the field to take the victory in the Total Motors IMCA Modifieds. Ricky Stephan kept Abelson honest to the finish with Bob Moore finishing out the top trio.Ryan Harris led the Casey’s General Stores IMCA Stock Car feature from the early going but had to hold off a strong challenge in the final laps from defending champion Jason Ward to score the feature win. Ward settled for second in front of Bo Lundquist.The MOPAR IMCA Hobby Stock feature saw Aaron Shearn shoot to the front in the early laps and avoid the mayhem behind him to take the feature victory. Behind Shearn, Gabe Barclay and Jon Androy rounded out the top three.Drew Johnson entered the night leading the points in the KISS 107 FM IMCA Sport Compacts and solidified that position with the feature win over Aaron Edwardson and Neal Reynolds.last_img read more

Read More »

Alma Lewe April 28, 1928 – April 23, 2020

first_imgAlma Lewe, age 91 of Harrison, Ohio passed away Thursday, April 23, 2020 at her home. Born April 28, 1928 in Harrison, Ohio the daughter of Joseph and Cecelia (Knuf) Losekamp.Alma a 1946 graduate from Harrison High School married Roger Louis Lewe, May 24, 1952 at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, Harrison, Ohio. She was a member of St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, Daughters of Isabella Saint Mary Circle #214 and Ladies Sodality.Alma is survived by her children Mary Rose Reusing, Donald (Helen) Lewe, Carol Ann (Gary) Schuck and Raymond (Jody) Lewe. Grandmother of Betsy (Matt) Ralya, Katie (David) Bear, Holly (Clayton) Fink, Shelley Reusing, Christopher (Megan) Lewe, Monica Lewe, Jeff (Andrea) Schuck, Ashley Schuck, and great grandmother of 11.Alma is preceded in death by her parents Joseph and Cecelia Losekamp, her husband Roger Lewe, brothers John, William “Bill,” Robert and James Losekamp.Visitation will be on Tuesday, April 28, 2020 from 9:00 A.M till 12:00 P.M. at Jackman Hensley Funeral Home 215 Broadway St. Harrison, Ohio 45030. A private Mass of Christian burial will be held for the family at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church 10010 Carolina Trace Road Harrison, Ohio 45030.Memorials may be directed to St. John the Baptist Catholic Church Building Fund or Queen City Hospice c/o the Funeral Home.Due to the COVID-19, if you are not feeling well, or those who have compromised immune systems which in anyway increases the chance of complications from the COVID-19 virus are strongly encouraged to stay home. Everyone is encouraged to sign the online guestbook for the family at jackmanhensley.comlast_img read more

Read More »

Coates hits out at Hartson

first_img Press Association Swansea-born Hartson, giving his view on Match of the Day 2 on Sunday night, echoed some of what Monk said in terms of labelling Moses a cheat who should be punished for a “blatant dive”. Hartson said: “That for me is a terrible dive and a total lack of professionalism from Moses. I think Garry Monk has a right to be angry. He (Moses) has cheated. “It’s one thing the FA coming out and charging Garry Monk – what about charging Victor Moses for diving? “I would (charge Moses) because you can’t dive. That is a blatant dive.” Coates responded on Monday by describing Hartson as a “disgrace”, and it has been reported that he is making an official complaint to the BBC over the matter. “I’ve never heard a more one-sided view from a pundit and we are right to complain about it,” said Coates, quoted by The Sentinel. “Hartson was a disgrace. He’s a big fan of Swansea and their manager… and it showed.” He added: “Whether Garry Monk likes it or not, it was given. It probably was soft, but we’ve had our fair share of things go against us in the past. The Potters’ 43rd-minute equaliser in the Britannia Stadium contest came from a penalty awarded when Moses went to ground – a little easily, it appeared – as he was challenged in the box by Angel Rangel. Enraged Swans boss Garry Monk was strongly critical of Moses and referee Michael Oliver after the game and it is understood his comments are being studied by the Football Association to see if the manager should face any action. Stoke chairman Peter Coates has hit out at BBC pundit John Hartson over his analysis of the Victor Moses incident in Sunday’s 2-1 Barclays Premier League victory over Swansea. “(Stoke striker) Peter Crouch has arms wrapped around him every single game and (Match of the Day presenter Gary) Lineker doesn’t say anything about that.” But Hartson has defended himself on Twitter and insisted he has nothing against Stoke and was merely commenting on the situation as he saw it. He tweeted: “I have nothing against Stoke, certainly Nothing against Mark Hughes or Victor Moses I am simply making a comment on an incompetent decision.” Meanwhile, Stoke goalkeeper Asmir Begovic has defended Moses, the winger who is on loan with the Potters from Chelsea. Begovic told Sky Sports News: “We know Victor and we see him each and every day. “I don’t think those kind of labels are fair. “I know it is in the aftermath of a game and I know Swansea are angry about losing. I don’t think it is ever pleasant. “But to call a player a cheat is a little bit over the top and I don’t.” last_img read more

Read More »

Against Irvine, USC looks to build on win

first_imgJunior Ricky Oropesa smiled after Sunday’s win against UCLA and said he couldn’t let the Georgia boys get all the home runs.After outfielders junior Alex Sherrod and sophomore Alex Glenn, both Georgia natives, hit USC’s first six long balls this season, Oropesa hit his first two homers of the season over the weekend against rival UCLA.Power stroke · Junior first baseman Ricky Oropesa hit his first two home runs of the season against crosstown rival UCLA this past weekend. He will look to continue his recent surge at the plate in USC’s nonconference game against UC Irvine this afternoon. – Mannat Saini | Daily Trojan The preseason All-American will look to continue a recent hot hitting streak today when the Trojans (9-15) take on UC Irvine (14-6) and a familiar face in former coach Mike Gillespie at 3 p.m. at Dedeaux Field.Oropesa started the season slow, hitting .250 with only five runs batted in through the first 11 games. But USC interim coach Frank Cruz wasn’t worried. It was almost expected.“Rick traditionally starts slow. It takes him a little bit of time to find his swing and get in the groove,” Cruz said in an interview earlier this month.His freshman year, Oropesa hit a woeful .083 with two RBIs the first 12 games before finishing the season with a .314 batting average and a team-best 13 home runs and 48 RBIs.Last year, it was a .176 start and five RBIs through the first nine games. Oropesa finished with 20 homers and 67 RBIs.In the 12 games since the beginning of spring break, the slugging first baseman has hit .500 (23-for-46) with 13 RBI. He was named the Pac-10 Player of the Week yesterday after going 9-for-17 last week, including 6-for-13 against No. 24 UCLA.Now that Oropesa has a couple of home runs under his belt, he feels like he’s finally got his swing where he wants it.“I think I’m getting loose. It takes me a couple of [at bats],” Oropesa said. “It’s getting this rhythm up and staying with the same approach: taking good quality at bats and getting my pitch to hit.”Oropesa will try to use his bat to help extend UC Irvine’s recent slide. After starting the season 13-1, the Anteaters have dropped five of their last six games, including a three-game sweep at Gonzaga over the weekend.During its current five-game losing streak, UC Irvine has scored only four runs. It was shut out the last two games and hasn’t scored a run in 26 innings.Freshman left-hander Kyle Richter will be charged with trying to continue UC Irvine’s hitting struggles. Richter, who has made eight relief appearances, will get his first career start as a Trojan.“By the time he leaves USC, we have confidence he’ll be a weekend starter,” Cruz said. “So we’re going to give him an opportunity to work toward that now and see how he does.”Though normally a coach would look forward to facing a team in the midst of a losing streak, Cruz adamantly disagreed.“Hell no. I wish they would have won 10 in a row,” he said. “With coach [Mike] Gillespie, you know they will be prepared, especially after losing four in a row.”Cruz said it’s “very difficult” facing off against Gillespie. He lists Gillespie as one of his closest friends and said he talks to him weekly. The two have known each other for more than 20 years, since Cruz was coaching at University High School and Gillespie was recruiting his players while coaching at the College of the Canyons, and later at USC.Gillespie led USC to the 1998 national championship and three World Series appearances during his 20-year tenure as the Trojans head coach from 1987 to 2006.From 1993 to 1996, Cruz served as an assistant coach under Gillespie before taking over his first collegiate head coaching job at Loyola Marymount.“[Gillespie’s] probably the single most important influence in coaching and the reason I am coaching at ’SC today,” Cruz said. “It makes you elevate to the next level when you coach against a Hall of Famer.”Cruz might be Gillespie’s understudy, but don’t expect Gillespie to take it easy on his former assistant.“Everyone loves him because of how humble he is, but when he gets between the lines, his game face is on. The last thing he’ll be thinking about is our friendship,” Cruz said. “You have to be sharp or he’ll exploit you in a heartbeat.”last_img read more

Read More »

StarTimes Bayern Youth Cup Tourney Holds in Lagos Today

first_imgThe final zonal tournament of the on-going FC Bayern Youth cup is scheduled to hold in Lagos this weekend at the Campos Mini Stadium, Lagos Island.According to StarTimes Nigeria, the official sponsor of the tournament, eight teams will compete for the Lagos namely Bethel FC, Mission Soccer Academy, Ablaze Academy, Lekki Junior Striker, The Future Academy, Esperanza FC, Leo Football Academy and Young Stars all battling for the top spot.The StarTimes FC Bayern Youth Cup Nigeria 2018, a tournament for the U16 boys commenced in January with games played in all six geo-political zones of the country. This is the first edition of the tournament in Africa which will have the best 10 players being selected to play at the world finals in Germany.Commenting on this development, Qasim Elegbede, the Brand and Marketing Director at StarTimes said that “This marks the completion of the zonal tournament and winners here will proceed to Abuja to battle it out for in the National Finals on March 10th where a winner will emerge” He added that “The winner from the Finals in Abuja will proceed to Germany to represent Nigeria in the world champions competition.”So far, over 50 games and 150+ goals have been recorded with 320 players from across 6 states taking part in the competition.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

Read More »