Donegal Creameries says 2009 was positive

first_img Facebook Donegal Creameries says 2009 was positive Twitter Calls for maternity restrictions to be lifted at LUH By News Highland – April 23, 2010 Pinterest Twitter Guidelines for reopening of hospitality sector published Donegal Creameries PLC has published its 2009 financial report, noting satisfactory results and significant debt reduction in what was a challenging year.The company says it made continued strategic progress, and that will continue into 2010.The results show a turnover of €113.3m, with adjusted operating profit of €3 million. The dividend per share has been maintained at 16%, with adjusted earnings per share of almost 49 cent exceeding market expectations, according to the report. Significantly, the document reports the company’s bank debt has been reduced by €6.23 million to €20.5m.There was improved profitability in both the Dairy and Produce businesses, with a number of associate conpanies, particularly Monaghan Middlebrook Mushrooms, performing very well in 2009.The company says it’s positioning itself to expand further, with a range of organic products planted on the Grianan Estate last year to be introduced to market in 2010.Donegal Creameries have also acquired a majority shareholding in a Brazilian seed potato production company, giving access to the South American market for Donegal’s extensive portfolio of protected potato varieties. Facebook WhatsApp Previous articleWoman not informed of partner’s inquest seeks formal apologyNext articleDNA found on a curtain pole an 83-year-old woman had used to fight off an intruder News Highland center_img Almost 10,000 appointments cancelled in Saolta Hospital Group this week Google+ Business Matters Ep 45 – Boyd Robinson, Annette Houston & Michael Margey RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR WhatsApp Google+ LUH system challenged by however, work to reduce risk to patients ongoing – Dr Hamilton News Pinterest Three factors driving Donegal housing market – Robinson last_img read more

Read More »

Peruvian organized crime groups exploit children to mine gold illegally

first_imgBy Dialogo February 24, 2014 Some children, teenagers, and adults begin working for illegal mining enterprises voluntarily, in the hopes of escaping poverty. Organized crime operatives require these workers to sign a contract, saying they will work for 90 days without pay, supposedly to cover the costs of “recruitment fees” and travel expenses. But once they are the mining camp, the workers, young and old, are not allowed to leave and are not paid even after 90 days. Some teenagers were forced to work for six years for food and a place to sleep, but were never paid, according to the Verité report. Organized crime operatives have killed some young workers who reached adulthood and demanded payment. Organized crime groups recruit children, teenagers, and adults to work in a variety of jobs at the the gold mines. Some of the workers are ordered to use machetes to cut trees, some shovel and move rocks and dirt, and some operate pumps which are used to separate gold particles. The work is dangerous and unhealthy. Workers often contract tropical diseases, such as malaria after being bitten by mosquitos. Some workers are injured in accidents. Human rights abuses Trying to escape poverty Sexual exploitation Not all of the workers are exploited in the gold mines. Organized crime groups also force thousands of girls, teenagers, and young women to work as prostitutes in mining regions. Much of this activity occurs in the department of Madre de Dios. Organized crime operatives trick teenagers and young women, promising them jobs as waitresses, cooks, or babysitters, Zevallos said. Instead, they are forced to work in bars, “attending to miners who want sex,” Zevallos said. There are about 150 bars in Madre de Dios. The bars are open 24 hours a day. Girls and young women from Andean peasant communities are forced to work in some bars, while girls an women from cities are forced to work in other bars. In 2010, there were about 2,000 girls, teenagers, and women laboring as sex workers in 100 bars, according to the Huarayo Association. About 60 percent of these sex workers were minors, the association estimated. Organized crime groups use violence to enforce their illegal gold mining enterprises, Zevallos said. For example, in February 2014, a group of organized crime gunmen fatally shot the owner of a bar in Puerto Maldonado. The killing was probably connected to a dispute involving an illegal gold mining enterprise, Zevallos said. Peruvian police have managed to rescue some girls from sexual exploitation in Madre de Dios, Zevallos said. It is crucial that security forces and civilians work together to fight organized crime, Zevallos said. Using information provided by people who have escaped illegal mining operations, security forces have identified and destroyed dozens of illicit mining camps in recent years. center_img The incursion by organized crime groups into the gold mining business has led to “forced child labor, the loss of human lives, human trafficking and sexual exploitation,” according to the report. “The issue is alarming. Family clans and criminal gangs have accumulated great fortunes by obtaining gold with the sweat and tears of children and adolescents,” said Guadalupe Oscar Zevallos, director of Huarayo Association an organization located in the department of Madre de Dios. The group provides shelter for children and adults who were forced to work for criminal organizations but escaped. Organized crime groups which force children and teenagers to work for them control much of the gold mining in the departments of Madre de Dios, Cusco , Puno and Arequipa, according to the report. Overall, organized crime groups operated illegal gold mining operations in 21 of the country’s 25 regions in 2013, according to the report. Special teams of police and prosecutors to fight illegal mining Organized crime groups in Peru are forcing children and teenagers to work for them in illegal gold mining enterprises, according to authorities and human rights advocates. Many of these children and teenagers are also sexually exploited by their organized crime captors, according to a recent report, “Risk Analysis Indicators of Forced Labor and Trafficking in illegal gold mining in Peru,” by Verité, a human rights group which is based in the United States. The Sinaloa Cartel, Los Urbenos, and Los Rastrojos are among the organized crime groups which conduct illegal mining operations. Each of these are transnational criminal organizations which traffic drugs and engage in other criminal enterprises. Organized crime groups are taking advantage of one of Peru’s most valuable natural resources. Peru is the largest gold producer in Latin America and sixth largest worldwide. Honest miners have received competition from violent organized crime groups in recent years. Organized crime groups employ 100,000 people directly in illegal gold mining enterprises and 400,000 people indirectly, according to the Verité report. Approximately 50,000 children and teenagers were working in illegal gold mining enterprises in 2010, according to the International Labor Organization (ILO). Illegal organized crime enterprises produce between 15 and 22 percent of the country’s gold, which is worth about $3 billion (USD) every year, according to the report. Since 2008, illegal mining production has increased fivefold in Peru, according to published reports. In February 204, Peruvian authorities placed special teams of police agents and prosecutors at airports in Lima , Arequipa, Cusco , Juliaca and Madre de Dios to curb illegal exports of gold. On January 25, 2014, 900 members of the National Police of Peru, supported by two helicopters and 18 prosecutors, evicted more than a thousand laborers of an illegal mining camp in the Tambopata area. Security forces destroyed eight pumps. Law enforcement officials remain in the area to prevent miners from returning.last_img read more

Read More »

Team Vitality partner with sports marketing agency, Infront

first_imgFrench esports organisation Team Vitality has entered into a deal with Infront to identify and secure new commercial opportunities.Infront is a sports marketing agency, and as part of this deal, it will market Team Vitality’s sponsorship offers. The agency has a host of experience in traditional sports.Nicolas Maurer, Managing Director of Team Vitality commented: “Our partnership with Infront, a world leader in sports marketing, demonstrates our ambition and illustrates Team Vitality’s vision for the international esports landscape. We will benefit from Infront’s expertise and network to better educate the major brands that are now attracted by Team Vitality’s sporting performance, international standing and growing audience.”Team Vitality is partnered with the likes of OMEN by HP, adidas, Volvic, Renault Sport, Twitch, Quersus, and Burn Controllers. The organisation competes in titles such as League of Legends, H1Z1, Rainbow Six Siege, Call of Duty, Clash Royale, Hearthstone, FIFA, and Arena of Valor.Jean-François Jeanne, Managing Director of InfrontJean-François Jeanne, Managing Director of Infront France stated: “It is with great enthusiasm that we enter the world of esports in France by teaming up with Team Vitality. We will support them in their development and support their ambition to build the best team in the world. We chose Team Vitality because it is a well-structured club that guarantees a return on investment for partners.”This isn’t Infront’s first venture into esports; it recently partnered with German organisation PENTA Sports that competes in Rainbox Six Siege, Crossfire, PUBG, Battalion 1944, FIFA, League of Legends, and Hearthstone. Infront stepped into esports in January of this year in an exclusive partnership with STARK eSports.Esports Insider says: Team Vitality doesn’t seem to have struggled acquiring sponsors in the not-so-distant past, especially partnering with Renault Sports, so we’re intrigued to see the calibre of companies that the organisation works with input from Infront.last_img read more

Read More »

Cardona makes PBA return with GlobalPort: ‘I feel like a rookie again’

first_imgMOST READ View comments Even if his return ended in a 99-109 defeat to NLEX, which ironically, is the previous PBA team he played for before a drug overdose in an apparent suicide attempt nearly ended his life, Cardona remains grateful for his new beginning, sharing that he has already moved past that dark chapter and is now hoping to live his life to the fullest.“Whatever happened to me in the past — I know I’ve made mistakes — but I tried to move on because I can no longer take those back. I’m just grateful for all the support that I got because if not for them, I wouldn’t have had my drive to get back here. I’m moving forward,” he said.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next “I feel like a rookie again,” quipped Cardona. “I don’t remember how the court looks. I’m just happy that I made it back to the PBA and the people saw me playing again.”But it’s not just the fans, but also his new Batang Pier teammates, who welcomed him with open arms.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games opening“They’re happy to see me back, especially Terrence (Romeo). He was telling me that I still got it, that they’re there for me. The same goes for Mike (Cortez) and Ryan (Araña),” he said.“I’m just happy to get back. I didn’t expect that I’ll still be able to play in the PBA after all that happened to me last year. So I’m thankful for coach Franz (Pumaren), boss Mikee Romero, and boss Erick Arejola because they gave me a chance that I can still play.”  Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong protesters NATO’s aging eye in the sky to get a last overhaul Close to quitting, Tiongson finds resurgence with NLEX The former La Salle standout didn’t deny that he felt overwhelmed with his return.“I feel goosebumps that it’s like I’m back in the UAAP. When I was gone for almost a year, I was able to rest and I felt excited to play again,” said Cardona, who had four points and two rebounds in eight minutes of action.Cardona’s journey back into the PBA started in the PBA D-League where newcomer Zark’s Burger signed him up to play a couple of games in the 2017 Foundation Cup.“It was like a sign from the Lord that when they called me to play in the D-League, I still can make it back playing basketball,” he said.It didn’t take long the opportunity for a PBA return came knocking and it was his former college coach at La Salle in Franz Pumaren, who gave him the shot in his road to redemption.ADVERTISEMENTcenter_img Celebrity chef Gary Rhodes dies at 59 with wife by his side Mac Cardona of GlobalPort makes his PBA return against NLEX on Sunday, Sept. 3, 2017, at Smart Araneta Coliseum. Cardona finished with four points and two rebounds in a 109-99 loss. Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netMac Cardona quest to make it back to the PBA has ended with GlobalPort on Sunday.Falling on hard times last year, the 35-year-old Cardona was able to pick up the pieces and he feels rejuvenated after being given a second chance.ADVERTISEMENT Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ LATEST STORIES Celebrity chef Gary Rhodes dies at 59 with wife by his side Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claimlast_img read more

Read More »

‘Liverpool have no chance of winning title’

first_imgLiverpool ‘Liverpool have absolutely no chance of title win’ – Henchoz fears top-four failure Chris Burton Last updated 2 years ago 00:27 10/9/17 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(0) Jurgen Klopp, Manchester City v Liverpool, Sept. 17 Getty Images Liverpool Premier League Jürgen Klopp The former Reds defender believes Jurgen Klopp’s side are continuing to make the same “mistakes” and could pay the price come the end of the season Liverpool have “absolutely no chance” of winning the Premier League title and could miss out on the top four, says Stephane Henchoz.The Reds have endured a mixed start to their 2017-18 campaign, with showings such as a 4-0 mauling of Arsenal countered by those in a 5-0 humbling by Manchester City.Man utd 7/4 away at Liverpool Article continues below Editors’ Picks Why Barcelona god Messi will never be worshipped in the same way in Argentina Lyon treble & England heartbreak: The full story behind Lucy Bronze’s dramatic 2019 Liverpool v Man City is now the league’s biggest rivalry and the bitterness is growing Megan Rapinoe: Born & brilliant in the U.S.A. Jurgen Klopp has struggled to address the defensive frailties which have hampered his side for some time, with precious points being lost due to an inability to keep clean sheets.Henchoz believes those issues should have been sorted during the summer transfer window, with it possible that Liverpool could fail to secure Champions League qualification if they continue down their current path.The former Reds defender told the BBC: “It was a big problem last season and everybody was hoping they could solve the problem.“I think they definitely should buy somebody. At least one or two centre-backs, they tried [Virgil] Van Dijk, but they couldn’t make it happen.Stephane Henchoz Liverpool title no chance“I don’t know. It seems that it is always the same mistakes, set pieces, they are very weak, very poor.”The way it is at the moment, they have absolutely no chance of competing for the title.“They would be more than happy to finish in the top four, but if they carry on the way they are conceding goals, I can’t see them finishing in the top four unfortunately.”Liverpool have collected just two clean sheets in all competitions this season, from 12 fixtures.They have been breached 12 times in seven Premier League outings, with only West Ham (13) and rock-bottom Crystal Palace (17) having endured greater struggles at keeping opponents out.The Reds will return to action after the international break with a home date against old adversaries Manchester United – the second-highest scoring team in the division with 21 efforts to their name so far. Subscribe to Goal’s Liverpool Correspondent Neil Jones’ weekly email bringing you the best Liverpool FC writing from around the weblast_img read more

Read More »