Fifth murder this year, kidnap attempt and police violence

first_img Organisation May 22, 2012 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Fifth murder this year, kidnap attempt and police violence Pakistani journalist critical of the military wounded by gunfire Help by sharing this information News Follow the news on Pakistan PakistanAsia – Pacific PakistanAsia – Pacific April 21, 2021 Find out more News June 2, 2021 Find out more News News Pakistani TV anchor censored after denouncing violence against journalists Receive email alerts Pakistani supreme court acquits main suspect in Daniel Pearl murder Reporters Without Borders offers its condolences to the family and colleagues of Abdul Razaq Gul, a TV reporter based in Turbat, in the far south of the southwestern province of Balochistan, whose body was found on the morning of 19 May. Medical sources said he had been shot in the forehead and chest after apparently being tortured.The organization’s concern about the safety of Pakistani journalists has also been heightened by an attempt to kidnap a journalist on 7 May in Peshawar, in the northern province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, and by an attack on three reporters by police in the same province on 11 May.“The authorities must work actively to protect journalists, who keep on being the victims of physical attacks, threats, kidnap attempts and even murder,” Reporters Without Borders said. “Gul is the fifth journalist to be murdered in Pakistan since the start of the year. Pakistan has been the world’s deadliest country for the media for the past two years, with a total of 26 journalists killed. It is time the government put an end to the bloodshed.”Murder in Balochistan, kidnap attempt in PeshawarGul was abducted as he was returning home by motorcycle on the evening of 18 May and his body was found near Turbat’s main hospital the next morning. Aged around 30, he had worked for Express News TV since 2002. He was also secretary of the Turbat Press Club.The Balochistan Union of Journalists (BUJ) declared three days for mourning for Gul, while the Council of All Balochistan Press Clubs announced that it would organize protests if those responsible for his murder had not been identified by 1 June.Gul’s murder recalls those of Tariq Kamal and Murtaza Razvi, journalists based in the neighbouring province of Sindh, who were found dead on 9 May and 19 April respectively, in each case a few days after they were abducted. The other journalists murdered this year in Pakistan were Aurengzeb Tunio, on 10 May in Sindh, and Mukarram Khan Atif, on 17 January in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. The attempt to abduct journalist Zahid Merokhel on 7 May in Peshawar took place on a road near the historic fort of Bali Hisar. Three men grabbed him, gave him a severe beating and bundled him into their pick-up. It was only after the pick-up developed a fault that they dumped him at the side of the road.Merokhel said he thought the kidnap attempt was prompted by a story he wrote for the 5 May issue of the Urdu-language newspaper Nai Baat about the alleged involvement of government officials in a prisoner’s escape.Police attack on three journalistsFreelance journalist Sher Ali Kha, Geo News TV cameraman Siraj Ali and Pakhtunkhwa Times reporter Shabbir Ahmed were attacked by police while covering a demonstration in Charsadda District (in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province) on 11 May. The police wanted to prevent them filming clashes between police and protesters. Kha sustained head and hand injuries and had to spend four days in hospital.They filed a complaint on 14 May, as soon as Kha was discharged from hospital. Journalists staged demonstrations in Charsadda on 19 May and in Peshawar on 21 May in protest against the attack.Pakistan is ranked 151st out of 179 countries in the 2011-2012 Reporters Without Borders press freedom index, while Balochistan was classified as one of the world’s 10 most dangerous places for journalists by Reporters Without Borders last year. to go further RSF_en January 28, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Read More »

The New Grateful Dead Musical, ‘Red Roses, Green Gold’, Is Opening In October!

first_imgA few months ago, Broadway World announced that a new musical featuring the music of the Grateful Dead was in the works. At the time, the new project was described as “a new musical comedy, featuring the music of THE GRATEFUL DEAD- a semi-fantastical and immersive Americana tale of the Jones family in 1920’s Cumberland, Maryland, as they con, swindle and gamble their way into riches.” During the initial announcement of the project, most of the information about this new Grateful Dead musical was gleaned from the show’s casting call, which confirmed that Dead & Company’s Jeff Chimenti would serve as musical director and Rachel Klein as director.Jackie Greene To Lead Members Of Dead & Co, moe., Twiddle In Charity Grateful Dead TributeYesterday, Rolling Stone shed more light on the project, noting that the new musical will be called Red Roses, Green Gold and that it will open at New York City’s Minetta Lane Theatre in the fall, with previews starting October 11th and the show opening to the public on October 29th. Rolling Stone‘s preview also notes that director Rachel Klein will serve as the choreographer for the project and that Michael Norman Mann wrote the show’s script. Mann is no stranger to Grateful Dead musicals, as the writer has previously penned two projects featuring the Grateful Dead’s music—Cumberland Blues in the late 90’s and Shakedown Street, which opened in 2005.Ahead of Red Roses, Green Gold‘s opening, you can check out the former Equity casting notice for the show, which sheds a little more insight into what to expect from the Grateful Dead musical. Among the list of characters, we have Jack, the cunning family patriarch; Melinda, the beautiful and independent daughter described as “a total lady boss”; Mick (a.k.a. “The Candy Man”), the charismatic and sexy trickster; Jessup, the villainous wealthy mining tycoon; and Dudley, the “lovable, slow-witted son” of the villian, Jessup. Being a Grateful Dead musical, no cast would be complete without a Bertha, who is described as a “firecracker.” And, being a musical in general, no such casting would be complete without a mysterious out-of-towner who rolls through and must win the love of a lady “despite having some secrets.”Watch Full Video Of The Grateful Dead’s Final Performance At Alpine ValleyTickets for Red Roses, Green Gold go on sale starting September 25th at 10 am (EST), though a pre-sale for American Express cardholders will run from September 13th at 10 am through September 20th at 9:59 am and an Audience Rewards pre-sale will run from September 20th at 10 am to September 25th at 9:59 am (EST). Prices for this Grateful Dead-inspired Broadway show will range from $58 to $88 dollars, though premium tickets will be available for $125 dollars.[H/T Rolling Stone]last_img read more

Read More »

Progress scheme cuts investment risk after closing to new entrants

first_imgProgress, the €4.8bn defined benefit pension fund for the Dutch employees of Unilever, is to scale back investment risk as the fund is closed to new entrants.According to its 2015 annual report, Progress will cut its current 32% equity allocation by 10 percentage points in favour of growing its fixed income holdings.It will also link its interest hedge to the 30-year swap rate instead of its coverage ratio, which stood at 130% as of the end of March.As a consequence, it has lowered its interest hedge to 32.5% of the nominal interest risk, to benefit from rising interest rates. It said the increased short-term risk of the move was acceptable, as it expects interest-rate risk to fall over the long term.Progress has also dropped its dynamic, anti-cyclical investment policy.To further diversify, it increased exposure to Dutch mortgages – the best-performing asset class within its fixed income portfolio, returning 7.2% – from 13.8% to 19.4%. It has also started investing in European senior loans, as well as environmental, social and governance (ESG) “value creation”, targeting sustainable agriculture and energy, as well as hygiene.The Unilever scheme reduced its commodities allocation from 5% to 4.4%, as the asset class “contributed insufficiently to diversification”.It said it would cut its commodities exposure – which last year produced a 32.3% loss – even further.Private equity, in contrast, generated 30.1%.Progress also reported positive results on real estate (14.1%), fixed income (4.2%) and equity (9.4%).The pension fund reported an investment return of 0.2%, after losses of 3.5% on its 80% hedge of the main currencies, 1% on its interest cover and 0.9% on its 50% inflation hedge.Progress closed to new entrants at the start of last year; pensions accrual is now taking place in its new collective defined contribution scheme Forward.The two pension funds, which already share pensions-provision costs, have applied for a licence to run a new low-cost ‘general’ pension fund, or APF.last_img read more

Read More »

Urling maintains a contract existed …replies to GFF president

first_imgBy Ras WadadaClinton Urling,former chairman of the Normalisation Committee (NC)which was installed by FIFA to administrate the game of football, is still maintaining that a contract was made between the inaugural eight Elite Clubs and the then football governing authority in Guyana.In response to comments made last Friday by the head of the GFF,Wayne Forde,at a Press Conference to announce the start of the Elite League, the former Chairman spoke to Chronicle Sport via telephone from New York.“I maintain my position that the NC,being the representative head of the GFF,a year ago put together the modalities of the League where we held several discussions over months with all the parties involved and at the end of it all we had a mutual agreement between the GFF under the NC and the eight members of the GFF’s Elite League.“We agreed upon, and it is not just the Rules and Regulations that we agreed upon, we also, at that time agreed on how we will administer the relegation and delegation part where teams would have been part of the current construct for a period of two years.The reason for that two years came about because teams indicated that they would have invested enormous sums of monies to participate in the first League and it would have been disadvantageous for them to participate for just one year,since it would be difficult to recoup their investments.So we agreed mutually to run the League with the current construct for two years.“Regulations are on-the-field regulations and I think that is what Mr.Forde is referring to, with his extensive football knowledge, but ours went beyond on-the-field, ours actually talked about the structure of how the League would be administered. Again agreements are contracts between parties and those agreements should be honoured.“For me, I have no further comment on this particular matter and issue. If the ExCo believes gravely that back pedaling on the agreement is the right thing for them to do they are free to do so. In my judgement the better approach would have been just the way we came up with the contract by mutual agreement through negotiations and compromises with all parties involved. I would have recommended to this current ExCo to go the similar route to resolve this impasse that had arrived and I hope this is the end of this scenario.“I am surprised at the accusation that I have been listening to one side of the story and that is not so, I have been intimately involved in establishing this League and my comments are based on my knowledge,so I have been talking to the Media from where I am here in NY.“It would be premature of the ExCo to host a press conference to announce the start of the League when four of your clubs, including the two top teams are not in, due to them seeking an arbitration the day before…maybe that is a tactic of extensive football knowledge that I don’t have and Mr Forde has. It will be interesting to see what happens if those four clubs aren’t a part of the League.“This is certainly not what you want just before your premier competition starts. When we launched the Elite League we said it was going to be the litmus test for the success of the Guyana Football Federation and football in Guyana generally.“In Guyana, we still seem to love to approach the national team on the International arena as the Premier football product, but for us the NC at the time, we felt that the Elite League, which has a longer term investment in our local players development and also was a logical avenue for upcoming younger players to say we want to ascribe to become Elite League players, should be the product and that was an ultimate goal of the programme.“To start your premier competition under these dark cloud circumstances is not good for the game in Guyana and for me the way it is looking and, if it is not resolved, we have failed that litmus test”, Urling quipped.last_img read more

Read More »