Scottish Gov’t injects another $6.45M to decommissioning fund

Highlands and IslandsFollowing the announcement by the Scottish Government, the Highlands and Islands Enterprise (HIE) said it was considering applying to the DCF.“Energy sector supply chain companies across the Highlands and Islands are being encouraged by HIE to consider applying to the DCF,” the development agency said.Last year, the DCF awarded grants totaling £4.8m for projects that strengthen Scotland’s decommissioning capacity.These included more than £800,000 for infrastructure upgrades at Kishorn Dry Dock in Wester Ross, more than £90,000 for work in the Lyness Oil and Gas decommissioning base in Orkney, and almost £60,000 was invested in feasibility studies commissioned by Stornoway Port Authority for the proposed decommissioning facility at Arnish on Lewis.Other projects include £118,000 for upgrading the plant and machinery by EMN Plant, and Lerwick Engineering and Fabrication received more than £80,000 for the purchase of equipment to enhance capabilities within the decom market in Shetland.Gavin MacKay, HIE’s head of energy industries, said: “The decommissioning of North Sea infrastructure is already presenting opportunities for the Highlands and Islands. The obvious example is the Buchan Alpha decommissioning, which is being carried out at Dales Voe in Shetland, following major upgrading of the quayside.”Alongside the Decommissioning Action Plan, launched by HIE and Scottish Enterprise at the end of 2016, the DCF will help Scotland’s oil and gas sector make the most of decommissioning opportunities at home and abroad. An additional £5 million ($6.45M) has been made available by the Scottish Government to the country’s supply chain to help maximize the economic benefit to Scotland from decommissioning of North Sea infrastructure.Decommissioning of the Buchan Alpha taking place at Dales Voe in Shetland; Photo by: John Coutts; Source: HIEThe Minister for Energy, Connectivity, and the Islands, Paul Wheelhouse, announced on Thursday that the Decommissioning Challenge Fund (DCF) would reopen for the third round of funding. The announcement was made during his visit to the new CEOs of Decom North Sea and Aberdeen Harbour, John Warrender and Michelle Handforth.Following grant awards of £4.8 million in 2017, the third round of DCF funding will continue to support infrastructure upgrades at Scotland’s ports, innovation in retrieval and transport approaches as well as supply chain projects that will strengthen Scotland’s decommissioning capability and capacity.The DCF can also support engineering scoping work, feasibility studies, and business development at key sites to help to attract further private investment.Wheelhouse said: “This round of the DCF includes both capital and resource funding, and it widens the scope of potential projects given that support is also now available for business development.“We fully recognize that decommissioning is an emerging, but growing, activity in the North Sea. More than £17 billion is expected to be spent on decommissioning activity in the North Sea in the period up to 2025, with the peak for decommissioning activity in this area predicted to go beyond this.“Scotland’s supply chain is winning the lion’s share of project value in areas like well-plugging and abandonment, but there is room to further increase market share in areas such as the salvage and disposal of top-side infrastructure.“The budget for the DCF in 2018-19 will reflect the projects coming forward, and our ambition is to match the £5 million successfully awarded last year, however, there is flexibility for this to increase if demand is demonstrated.” read more

Read More »

Weah: Nigeria Football is a Model

first_img“As a young, upcoming footballer, I was always fascinated by Nigeria’s football stars. I looked up to the likes of Stephen Keshi, Rashidi Yekini, Friday Ekpo and others and believed that the African footballer can also get to the very top. I believe that in Africa, somewhere, there is another Ballon D’Or winner. We have to find him, expose him to the world and give him the opportunity to actualise his dream,” Weah, who was named African, European and World Footballer of the Year in 1995, said.While commending the Government of Nigeria, the Nigeria Football Federation and the Super Eagles for the honour done him on the occasion which was to celebrate his contributions to Liberian Football, Weah revealed that as a people, Liberians look up to Nigeria’s pedigree in the round leather game and will work hard to get there.Weah and former national teammate, James Debbah, led out the Lone Star against the Super Eagles in a game played in an ambience of warmth, mutual respect and good spirit. Henry Onyekuru and Simeon Nwankwo scored for Nigeria in the first half while Liberia reduced the deficit through a penalty kick in the second half when Oluwasemilogo Ajayi handled the ball in the box.NFF 2nd Vice President Shehu Dikko and Executive Committee member Ibrahim Musa Gusau led the Nigerian delegation to Monrovia.Interestingly, on a day that Weah’s Number 14 Lone Star jersey was been retired, his son, Timothy, featured for the U.S. national team in a win over Mexico.The father/son duo both took the field on the same day, with the junior Weah starting and playing 89 minutes in the USMNT’s 1-0 win over 10-man Mexico.… Rewards Eagles with $2,000 Each for Monrovia FriendlyFor honouring the invitation to play in the friendly game to retire George Weah’s No 14 Lone Star jersey, Super Eagles have been rewarded with a cash gift of $2,000-a-man.The 1995 World Footballer of the Year who is now President of Liberia was delighted that Nigeria presented a strong side including several last players from the recent World Cup in Russia for Tuesday night’s game in Monrovia.“We were paid $2,000 each by the President of Liberia,” one of the players at the game informed SCORENigeriaWeah, 51, now many kilogrammes overweight and far from fit, played for 79 minutes in a game the Eagles won 2-1.In his playing days, the big striker featured for some of Europe’s best teams – PSG, Monaco, AC Milan and Chelsea.Meanwhile, Bordeaux winger Samuel Kalu has said it was a huge motivation to play on the same pitch with the one-time World Footballer of the Year.Kalu, who made his Super Eagles debut at the weekend in Seychelles, said it was a big lift to share the same pitch with Weah who is now his country’s elected President.“I couldn’t follow him much when he was playing, but I could see some of his skills from the videos I have seen of him,” the winger commented.“He’s a legend, a world-class player. It was a big motivation to play against him,” Kalu stressed.He said despite Weah being part of the Lone Star in last night’s game, the Eagles wanted to win the game.“We want to win any match we play,” he maintained.Kalu was outstanding on his debut against Seychelles on Saturday in a 2019 AFCON qualifier.“It was great to represent Nigeria, this is a good step for me in the national team,” he said.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Olawale Ajimotokan in AbujaFormer World Footballer of the Year and now President of the Republic of Liberia, Mr. George Opong Weah has hailed Nigeria as a great and worthy ally in national development, while describing Nigerian Football as a model that he wants his country to follow.Speaking after Tuesday night’s exhibition match between the Lone Star and the Super Eagles at the Samuel Kanyon Doe Sports Complex in Monrovia, which the Eagles won 2-1, Weah, a former World Footballer of the Year, revealed that Nigeria Football has always inspired him. Super Eagles Stand in Captain, John Ogu, shaking President George Weah before the friendly game on Tuesday night in Monrovialast_img read more

Read More »

Usain Bolt reveals biggest regret

first_imgA new Usain Bolt biopic — I Am Bolt — aims to inspire future generations, but it also gave the Olympic great a lesson too.The 30-year-old, who showed a natural talent for sprinting growing up in Jamaica, has won nine Olympic gold medals but could his haul have been even greater?”When I started out I wasn’t that serious,” he told CNN in London, where he will end his sprinting career at the 2017 world championships.”I was more relaxed and chilled and just living my life. I would say [to my younger self] ‘get serious’ so my career could start earlier,” added Bolt as he talked about the film, which released worldwide Monday.Bolt competed at his first Olympics in Athens 2004 but left the Greek capital without a medal. By the time he got to Beijing Bird’s Nest Stadium in 2008, the stage was his as he blitzed to a trio of sprint crowns.He signed off with another golden Games in Rio eight years later, again winning the 100-meter, 200m and 4x100m titles, and remains peerless as the world record holder over 100m and 200m. Asked by CNN what he would choose as his super power he simply says: “I’d keep the speed.”Bolt may be aware his powers are waning so, when the effervescent superstar hangs up his spikes, what will he do next?”I’m focused more on my charity work,” Bolt tells CNN. “I’m working on a clinic in Jamaica, mostly towards injured athletes.”Bolt already gifts a chunk of his earnings through his Jamaica-based foundation which aims to help kids.The Jamaican will also add some fizz to a champagne company after being named as Maison Mumm’s ‘Chief Entertainment Officer.’ It seems that “Lightning Bolt” hasn’t quite done with the theater of track of field, however.”I want to stay in track and field,” he adds. “I want to focus on developing the sport.”Who would bet against Bolt breaking new ground for athletics off the track too?last_img read more

Read More »